Fire Department History

In January, 1871, the Ottawa Union had a story about Nubemyer and Co.’s new steam grist mill burning down. The three-story mill could not be saved, and the nearby passenger depot of the L. S. and M. S. Railroad was threatened. Scarcity of water and intense heat made it almost impractical to save the depot. “However, some of our stern-hearted firemen did not like to abandon the building.” Each picked up a door, held it between himself and the heat, carried a hose, and positioned himself to pour water on the front of building. Although badly damaged, the depot was saved. The railroad company was able to save a number of railcars by moving them to a side track, and telegraph wires attached to the mill were broken which caused a temporary suspension of telegraph news. In appreciation of saving the passenger depot from total destruction, the L. S. and M. S. Railroad purchased the fire department’s first bell. It is currently displayed in front of the fire station.

—Elmore, Ohio, A History Preserved by Grace Luebke

 

 


   

Announcements | Officials and Supervisors | Meetings | Fire / EMS | Zoning | Cemetery | Township Services

Recycling | Junk Disposal | Drainage | Home Page

Website Management: Admin Resource and Services, LLC / Glenn Sasscer